Much to be grateful for

After a few busy months, I'm back and ready for a new year. But first, a quick recap of the end of my year.




 In October, my nephew and I went to visit Nick and Naomi in California. They are expecting their first child, a son, this coming spring and we are all so excited! The weather was warm, even for October and we got in the ocean and even buried Orlando in the sand. My favorite part was Santa Cruz, I think I should live there.















In November, we went to visit Gar's dad and step mom in Tombstone and while the first big snow storm dumped over Utah, we enjoyed the beautiful Arizona weather and sunsets and filled our time with horseback riding and museums.










In December, I finished a small shelving project in the dining room and I've already used the skis I got for my birthday several times. I am now a new ski bum; no one would have ever guessed I would begin to love the snow because I look forward to playing in it.

We finished off the year with a lovely and long holiday break from work, even with an awful cold, that crept up on me. I have two resolutions this year, since last year I sadly, only accomplished one of the several I made (story of my life). I resolve to read more classics this year, and do my first triathlon or marathon. Go me.

One thing that has been weighing on my mind since mid December is the horrific shooting at an elementary school in Connecticut. I can't even begin to explain how angry and sad it made me. Obviously, I don't have children, but this even has had a deep and sobering effect on me. As I sat in our living room watching the news that day, crying and thinking, "I don't understand how this could have happened. The one place that you think would be safer than most, where you send your child to learn and play, the one place that is perhaps protected more than any other public place, and it was so easy." My emotions are beyond feelings of sadness; a fear that I have never paid any attention to has settled nicely in my mind, perhaps forever.
Here are some cute cats in my life to make everyone feel better.



Leave a Reply

Contributors