Iguazu Falls

After Buenos Aires we went north toward Brazil to a place called Iguazu Falls, which straddles Argentina and Brazil. I hadn't really heard of the place before we went, but Garrett said it was worth seeing. He was so right! I'm not even kidding, guys, it was like FernGully: The Last Rainforest, except IRL!



From the Brazil side.
Each side of the falls is unique to the whole beauty of the entire park and a very different experience. The first time Garrett visited he only went to the Argentina side, which is the side we went on the first day and has the majority of the falls. But the Brazilian side is actually just as spectacular because only from Brazil, can you see the whole panoramic view of falls, which is breathtaking.

I like to think that I have a deep appreciation for nature and my surroundings, and it is common for me to feel overwhelmed by the beautiful things in this world. Waterfalls are especially not foreign to me, I've seen my share of them. But this was a completely different experience. I'm kind of at a loss for words about how to explain it. No pictures can do this place justice. I felt an authentic sense of peace and I was perplexed by the enormity and beauty of this world we live in, of which, I am so small. It's the type of place where you feel anxiety and peace at the same time. Niagara Falls has nothing on Iguazu Falls.




We took a boat ride under the falls on the Argentinian side, which was terribly exciting and terrifying. They sell ponchos at the dock where you depart and in the gift shops, but I don't know how anyone stayed dry--it was literally like having dozens of fire hoses expelling water full blast at the same time directly onto the boat. It was nuts. And we didn't even go deep into the falls, because obviously, it can be really dangerous. I could hardly keep my eyes open while going directly under, but when they were open, all I could see was water and rainbows. RAINBOWS EVERYWHERE. Again, it was nuts. It was definitely what I would describe as magical, thus I'm convinced it's the real-life FernGully.

This was not our boat. But we took one just like it!










There was a lot of wildlife in the park: butterflies everywhere, rodent raccoon-anteater-things, and we even saw an alligator on the beach where we boarded the boat. To say that any of these pictures do the falls any justice, is a big understatement. I can't describe what an experience this was,  but it was overwhelming and unforgettable.

Argentina side

Leave a Reply

Contributors