I raced for the cure

Two weekends ago I participated in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. I organized a team in support of a co-worker who was diagnosed with breast cancer last December. I have never known anyone with breast cancer, so I guess I never had a reason to run the race. Even though the race was pure chaos (over 20,000 were in attendance) our team had 22 members and the shirts we ordered were fun and made us feel like a real team.

Please excuse the morning look, we all rolled out of bed. Notice Mandi in front --the most energetic of the bunch, and she had a chemo treatment the day before. Seriously, I don't know how she does it :)

 Most of the team, though some people got cut out of the pic--like me.

This was taken at the "Starting Line." We literally waited for 10 minutes to actually cross the starting line because there were SO many people. It was kind of cool to look ahead, up the street and then behind you to see a never-ending sea of people wearing mostly pink.

Kayla was super excited to cross the finish line. Despite the crowd, this race was actually very emotional, not for just the survivors or the family members of survivors (or those being remembered) but I got emotional just reading people's shirts or the signs that said who they were running for. To be running for someone I know personally, made it so worth it and made me so feel so grateful and fortunate for modern medicine, family, and friends. I definitely had fun and I'd do it again.

Leave a Reply

Contributors