Continued:
The Senator finally arrived around 11:30. It was amazing to see so many people as enthusiastic as we were about a person whom we all believe was going to change our lives. The energy was great and his speech was amazing too.
This was actually my second time ( I attended an Elko NV rally way back in August of 2007) seeing him in person. It was Nicole and Jacob's first. I think Nicole loves him more than I do and she was mesmerized and Obama definitely could feel it... At the beginning of his speech, the crowd became really quiet and Nicole shot her arm up and waved at him. Since we were in the very back, in front of the press box, he saw her and smiled then waved. AT HER. It was a magical moment, if I don't say so myself
.
The rest of the weekend was spent canvassing in different wards and neighborhoods. I had a very positive experience; people were supportive and willing to chat with me. One woman talked with me for almost 30 minutes from her upstairs bedroom window (long story...).
I even met one of the head professors/surgeons from Johns Hopkins. He told us about how he had been taken out of school for a week to support Harry Truman's campaign, and he had taken his older daughter out of school for a week to campaign in the 80's for Michael Dukakis and now he was out campaigning for a week with his young adopted daughter for Barack Obama. When Nicole and I were unsure how we were going to get back to DC, he offered to buy our train tickets back home.
I never in a million years would have ever thought that I would campaign in Pennsylvania for a Democrat in a such a historical presidential race. It was an amazing experience to say the least.
After walking for hours and knocking on doors, this was the best part. Or maybe the best part was walking on opposite sides of a street trying to get to houses before the Clinton volunteers in one particular neighborhood (I was literally RUNNING from house to house, of course I beat those two middle aged women and they had a car!).
Nicole, Jacob and I in the make shift campaign office (it was a union building of some sort, hence the anti-Wal-Mart posters in the back).
