Art Museums = Church

Sarah Thornton's recently released, “Seven Days in the Art World”, is a great read for those interested in familiarizing themselves with the art world. A series of narratives, Thornton gives you a good sense about the booming and luxurious culture art has created, the drama that goes with it, and the status and money that play a big role in it. A good book for anyone interested in knowing what all the hype is about concerning art, the people who create it, buy it, sell it, look at it and decide if it’s “good”.

I absolutely loved this book and she breaks it down into seven parts, giving the reader a good idea of what art embodies. I like that she is (or was) a journalist; it gives the book honest details that other writers might have missed.

Below is an excerpt from Sarah Thornton's interview with BBC on her new book. It gives you a good idea about what her book is all about. I like how she talks about art as religion for some. Really though, I do believe there is so much more to art than all the pretentious bastards humming around with a wine glass in one hand, acting like they are god's gift to the world. It's much more than a implication of social status. Go check out Thornton's book.



Leave a Reply

Contributors